Beyerdynamic T90 headphones review. Magazine "WHAT HI-FI?"

Beyerdynamic T90 headphones

Manufacturer: Beyerdynamic Gmbh & Co. KG (Germany)

www.beyerdynamic.com

Resistance: 250 Ohm p Input power: 200 mW p Sensitivity (at 1 V): 102 dB p Reproducible range: 5 - 40000 Hz p With unevenness: n.a. p Distortion: n.d. p Weight: 350 g p Price: 22,000 rub.

Linearity

ideal throughout the entire range, except for the infra-low region.

Dynamics

excellent, as is the overload capacity.

Microdynamics

in the lower register it is simplified, but higher in the spectrum it is wonderful.

Resonances

There are only at the edges of the range and are invisible with a properly selected amplifier.

T90 is an attempt by Beyerdynamic engineers to transfer all the super technologies from the flagship open T1 phones (we have already talked about them: https://www.salonav.com/arch/2010/07/056.htm) to a more affordable price segment. Therefore, the key feature of the model lies in the latest Tesla dynamic emitters with the highest possible induction in the magnetic system. This solution allows you to get not only high sensitivity from the drivers, but also reduced distortion. The difference is only in the parameters and resistance of the voice coils (from 600 it is reduced to 250 Ohms). “Nineties” and externally reminiscent of T1: spherical cups are closed on the outside with a beautiful fine-mesh mesh. The ear pads are large, soft, lined with microfiber and cover the ears completely. The headband and horseshoe-shaped pendants, which are stamped from sheet aluminum, are designed a little more simply. But they also provide the same high degree of freedom, good fixation and comfortable fit to the head as the older model. The cable is a non-removable three-meter OFC cable. Includes adapter and case.

In terms of sensitivity, these phones differ from other high-impedance models and are comparable to ultra-low-impedance Sony ones. This means that the T90 will fit any stationary telephone amplifier; for example, in our case they work perfectly with a pocket player. In all cases, Beyerdynamic provide a very smooth frequency response in the middle register and slightly highlight the HF region of 10 - 12 kHz. But there are no noticeable dips or pronounced resonances - only a very slight hint of the emphasis of individual notes in the upper bass (with a tube amplifier this feature does not appear). The bass is well-developed and quite fleshy. The scene is somewhat clearer and more accurately focused when headphones work with a transistor amplifier, but in combination with lamps there is also an advantage - the space turns out to be more airy and natural. The undoubted advantages of the model include a refined middle register and stunning harmonic resolution. Each instrument has a lot of tiny tonal nuances. Microdynamics are less expressive. There are a lot of details, but they are reproduced somehow “for show”. These headphones seem to require a longer warm-up period.

Mid-range headphones | German Maestro GMP 450 Pro | HiFiMAN HE-300 | Sony MDR-MA900 | Ultrasone Pro 750 | Ultrasone Pro 900 | Monster Beats Pro | Beyerdynamic T90 | HiFiMAN HE-4

Tags: BeyerdynamicGrand Prix

Beyerdynamic T90

Ivanov Vitaly, 05/13/2017

Advantages: Extremely simple and reliable aluminum construction of the supporting arm. Lungs. Very comfortable fit on any head. There are original ear pads of excellent quality on sale, but the standard ones can always be removed and washed. Ears don't sweat in hot weather. Availability of a case for carrying and storage. Sound.

Disadvantages: Rather a feature, and not a disadvantage of semi-open headphones, is that we hear extraneous sounds, if, for example, the TV is blaring loudly in the listening room. In complete silence, the sound from them can be heard very well, but it will not wake up the sleeping person)..

Comment: These are my third representatives of the Bayers. I have been using headphones from this company for more than four years. The first to be purchased (and still have) were the 880th 250-Ohm model and the 990th pro version. They are different in sound, the first ones are liked for listening to vocals, instrumentals, and classical music, sometimes even jazz in mood. The second ones were bought for “meat”. They cope well with rock, both the old ones from the 70s and 80s, and they carry modern heavy metal without any mess, everything is in its place. Of course, it all depends on the path and recording. As a summary: the 880s have beautiful mids and very detailed highs, but there is a problem with the bass. He is alive, very mobile and quick-firing, but superficial, there is no depth. The 990s have good solid bass and, sometimes even too much, ringing highs, but at the same time there is a dip in the frequency response in the midrange region, which is even welcome on rock, but not always pleasing on other things. I wanted more “smooth” headphones. I was looking for headphones that could provide an alternative sound with a smooth midrange, the presence of full-bodied bass and a detailed high end, and, of course, the same accurate and wide stage. The T-90 has more interesting detailing compared to the above headphones. The scene and positioning are very decent. The frequency response is quite smooth for my taste. Microdynamics - “excellent” (their abilities are especially well demonstrated on high-quality recordings such as “Narada Collection”, recordings from “Lynn”, “Chesky Records”, “Naim Odio” test discs and simply well-recorded albums, not necessarily high-records). I recommend using them in conjunction with a good DAC (combine) or with an external amplifier. It has 2 amplifiers and a multi-bit DAC, so far I prefer the tube one. I don’t recommend purchasing it for a cheap path (such as a built-in sound card) - it won’t open. I would like to separately note that while they are warming up, they sound very sharp and defiant at high frequencies, then this goes away. This is something to consider when listening before making a purchasing decision. It is advisable to listen to it on your equipment. They are definitely worth the money in my opinion, although they are not cheap.

Impressions from Beyerdynamic T90 headphones

Good evening

I decided to share my impressions of my latest purchase.

First, a little context, I've been into quality headphones for over 5 years. We use AKG K240, K601, K550, Sennheiser HD 580, there were also Ultrasone 580, Beyerdynamic 990 and others. I listened to a lot of things at a party, the same Stax for example.

So I have experience, don’t think that this “article” is the delight of a person who picked up decent equipment for the first time.

First things first.

Once again, before the holidays, I looked at the flea market and looked at what kind of freebies I could treat myself to. When you have no ideas, you can look at the headphones again. Externally, I really liked the Denon AH-D5200, but the closed design with good insulation is not my thing at all, and the availability only for the full price of 400 euros did not inspire the desire to buy blindly.

Further research revealed several options: Beyerdynamic T90, T1 and Shure 1840 (I found them after ordering Beyerdynamic, so by the way, I would have taken them). T1 is good for everyone and the price of 400 is, in principle, normal, but greed is such a thing.

I didn’t have faith that expensive headphones were worth it or would show significant superiority over the same 990s, plus it would be difficult to sell them.

At the same time, the T90 is kind of like a “T1 for the poor,” if you can say that about headphones for 600 euros, and they were also available for 170 in perfect condition. It was below the psychological two hundred and I ordered it.

Today I received the parcel and spent half a day driving them at work. I only have a MacBook and a free Spotify account at hand, but oh well, it’s easy to download the players, let’s go! Although I didn't have high hopes, my first impression was of slight disappointment. Yes, Rammstein sounds, but I can’t say that it’s better than on the Zenha or AKG... it seems like everything is there, but it doesn’t seem to be. It doesn’t “sway”, there is no desire to jump around in a chair and shake your head. Okay, let's move on. Blues, jazz, good, but again, even with our 170 euros they somehow didn’t play enough. Towards the evening they played out, I even found Rammstein in quality and it was good, but a sediment remained, ears with a recommended price of 600 euros should not play “good”.

Well, a full-fledged system and music collected over 10 years are waiting for me at home.

Here a pleasant surprise awaited me: a DAC with a headphone amplifier rocked my Bayers. This was it! Rammstein became a hurricane, Metallica sounded, DDT Autumn caused a lump in the throat and tears welled up, Michael was forced to jump to the beat, during “Vaughn” goosebumps ran all over the body, and tears could barely stay in the eyes (men don’t cry!).

Everything started playing! This is incredible, because on all the equipment that I had, usually only part of the recordings sounded: AKG played orchestra and Metallica perfectly, but they lost on Rammstein, the Sennheisers did the opposite, and so on. It felt like I had 4-5 different genres and each played one thing well. This is the first time that I can’t say what character the headphones are, they have no character, they directly convey the essence of the work, regardless of rock, blues, pop, it all remains itself and plays “like in childhood,” that is, as I remember this music , listening on the most suitable equipment for it.

I sat for 4 hours listening to my favorite songs from the time of university until today, everything played that didn’t play well - it was absolutely clear that the recording was lame because a very similar song, but well recorded, sounded flawless.

Eh, it was like I plunged into the past days, I remembered the girls I met and what song or singer they are associated with, I don’t remember music giving me such a thrill. My heart ached with sadness...

As a conclusion, for the first time in my life I have headphones that played all my favorite songs, they without a doubt justified their 170 euro investment and even for the full 600 they have the right to be purchased. Naturally, the harness needs to be appropriate, otherwise your only feeling will be disappointment.

PS At the end of the evening, I felt a slight regret that I didn’t take the T1, I don’t know if it’s possible to play even better than the T90, but this would have been the pinnacle of peaks and buying subsequent headphones would have lost all meaning, and so one step remained unconquered.

Rating
( 2 ratings, average 4 out of 5 )
Did you like the article? Share with friends:
For any suggestions regarding the site: [email protected]
Для любых предложений по сайту: [email protected]